Sunday, May 20, 2012

Learning Isaiah

My mother has a deep love for the scriptures.  Growing up people would often make comments about the depth of her knowledge and how much she knows.  Someone even once made the comment that when my mom died, they wanted her scriptures.  In fact, I think there are a few people vying for that honor.  My mom has been a forever student and her scriptures reflect that.  There are no pristine white pages.   They are filled with references, quotes, explanations and highlights of every color.  They are well-used and well-loved.

I decided awhile ago, that I didn't just want her scriptures when she died, I wanted her to share her knowledge with me now.  And she has been kind enough to come to my home every week to teach me and help me come to know and love the scriptures as she does.  We are starting in Isaiah, one of her favorite books.  I feel like I understand Nephi's sentiment more when he said, "And I did read many things unto them which were written in the books of Moses; but that I might more fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer I did read unto them that which was written by the prophet Isaiah; for I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning."  (1 Nephi 19:23)  Reading Isaiah, with my mom's help to understand what I read, truly has given me a deeper love and testimony of the Lord our Redeemer. 

For this reason, I would like to share with you the things she teaches me.  It will not necessarily be a comprehensive review of everything she teaches me.  (There's a lot!)  She's been studying it for years, and this is my first time.  But I'd like to write down the things that I find of particular interest or importance.  I hope this will help me to remember all I am learning and I hope maybe there are others who would also like to learn what I've been learning.  I'd like to pass on this gift that I feel my mom is giving me.  Together may we come to a greater knowledge and love of the Savior and of the scriptures. 

1 comment:

Colleen said...

I had no idea that you were writing in your blog again. I just read all of them and was touched you what you wrote. Thank you for these inspiring and thought provoking words. I wish I could listen in while your mom teaches you about Isaiah. I will follow your blog to learn more, too. I love you, Kris.